Work for Mencap
Our vision is for the UK to be the best place in the world for people with a learning disability A learning disability is to do with the way someone's brain works. It makes it harder for someone to learn, understand or do things. to live happy and healthy lives. Our support workers play an essential part of this plan, we'd love you to be one of them.
What's it like to work at Mencap?
Abbie and Jake describe what it feels like to work at Mencap.
It's so much more that just a job!
Jobs with Mencap
It’s a really rewarding job – that’s what Mencap employees say. We’re changing lives every day in our services, and with our campaigning. Come and join the team!
Support worker roles at Mencap
Being a support worker means directly supporting people with a learning disability.
You’ll support them to live the lives they want. This could see you doing pretty much anything – from day-to-day things like cooking or helping with finances, to day trips and craft projects.
Your learning and development
We like people to grow their careers with us. You’ll find all kinds of learning opportunities on offer. There’ll always be something interesting to take on, or something new to learn.
Your time with Mencap will start with a full induction, and we’ve got everything in place to make sure you never stop learning. You’ll be able to take control of your own professional development. And you’ll find that, through the people you meet, the work you do, and experiences you share, you’ll grow in all kinds of other ways too.
The result of all of this? You’ll feel inspired to reach your full potential.
Benefits and rewards
As well as meaningful work, great colleagues and outstanding training, our paid roles offer:
- a competitive holiday allowance, with the ability to purchase up to ten days extra holiday each year
- a pension scheme
- sick pay
- an employee assistance programme
- a whole range of recognition and award schemes
- an online portal with discounts on holidays, cinema tickets, days out and more.
- a financial wellbeing scheme, including loan offers
I'm loving the new challenges that it brings, as well as the great feeling of accomplishment when I’ve helped someone to make a difference in their life. -
Questions and Answers
What does a support worker do?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of support that will help to ensure the people we support live a more comfortable, dignified, liberated and happy life. You will have excellent communication skills and be a naturally caring and patient personality. Typical responsibilities may include:
- Supporting people to live independently – budget A budget is a plan where you look at how much money you have and how you will spend it. management, paying bills, housework, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
- Excellent communication skills and Relationship building – supporting the people we support to understand the world around them and promoting positive relationships Relationships are about the people in your life. You might have different types of relationships like friendships, family relationships, or a boyfriend or girlfriend. .
- Community A community is the people and places in an area. & Social Inclusion - supporting individuals to access and participate in their local community and social events to promote life skills and individuality.
- Personal care - helping people to get ready for the day.This may include prompting the people we support to take their medication and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom.Not all Support Worker roles include high levels of personal care.
Why work for Mencap?
Mencap is a leader in providing excellent support to people with a learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. Everything we do at Mencap keeps the people we support at the centre of what we do. To find out a bit more about what life as a Support Worker is like, please click here to watch a short video.
With us, it’s never ‘just a job’. In return for your hard work and passion you can find real and meaningful work experience Work experience is when you try out a job to help you learn new skills. , access to some excellent benefits alongside our competitive pay.
What is Mencap Extras?
Join us and you’ll be able to make your money go further. You’ll have access to our online portal, Mencap Extras, that offers:
- discounts of up to 30% on:
- High street and supermarket shopping
- Days out
- Gym membership
- Salary A salary is the money you get paid for doing your job. exchange offers on Cars
- Loans for things like season tickets, mobile phones, computers, laptops and tablets
- A financial assistance hub, which includes affordable loans to help with things like debt consolidation.
You’ll feel like you’re moving forward
Our training has been recognised as some of the sector’s best, and you’ll be encouraged to explore all our opportunities. What’s more, the experiences you get from working with people with a learning disability will see you grow as a person as well as a professional.
Contact our recruitment team on 01733 246 699 or email email@example.com for more information.