How to get benefit money to help pay your rent

How to get benefit money to help pay your rent

A house next to a hand with a lot of money in it

Rent is the money that you pay to your landlord to live in your home.

A man in a baseball hat is holding up some house keys next to a front door

Your landlord is the person who owns the place where you live.

In front of a picture of lots of different types of benefit leaflets is the Houses of Parliament and a hand putting money into an envelope.

Money from the government to help with rent

Sometimes you can get money from the government to help you pay your rent and other important living costs. This money is called a benefit.

The front cover of a Universal Credit leaflet

Benefits that can help you with your housing costs are:

Universal Credit 


a man talking to a woman. A speech bubble above his head shows a handful of money and a picture of a landlord outside a front door

You can ask your social worker or support worker to help you get your benefit money paid straight to your landlord.

A woman holding her thumbs up and smiling

This can make things easier.

A woman thinking about her housing benefit payment and seeing that she still doesn't have enough money in her purse to pay

But sometimes the benefit money you get is not enough to pay for all of your rent.

A picture in a house shape of two people working with the word Council underneath it. This is next to a picture of an envelope full of money with the words Extra Money written on it

Ask your support worker if you get enough benefit money to cover your rent. If not, you might have to pay the rest.

You might be able to get extra help from your local council to pay the rest, even if they are not your landlord.

A man is looking through a magnifying glass

Check if you already get benefit money

There are ways that you can check if you get benefits like Universal Credit or Housing Benefit to pay your rent.

A woman is explaining something to a man. Both are sitting on chairs facing each other

You can ask your family, support worker or Housing Officer if you get benefits.

An open laptop showing a website home page

Check if you have an online Universal Credit journal that you can look at.

The Universal Credit journal is on a website where you can check everything about your benefits and how much you get.

A man asking his support worker if he gets Universal Credit

Ask your family or support worker if you have a Universal Credit journal.

They might have your account details.

A laptop showing a picture of a Universal Credit benefit leaflet, with the words Universal Credit Journal login next to it

You can sign into your Universal Credit journal at:

A man on a phone and another man using a laptop

How to get benefits

The Department for Work and Pensions are the people you need to contact to get benefits.

The Department for Work and Pensions is sometimes called the DWP.

The Universal Credit logo in the middle of images including a hand of money, a woman talking to a man, a house, someone at the Job Centre, a woman at a PC and a woman holding a baby

The DWP have set up a Universal Credit helpline which you can contact by:

  • Telephone: 0800 328 5644
  • Textphone: 0800 328 1344
  • Relay UK: 18001 then 0800 328 5644
    Relay UK helps people who cannot hear or speak on the phone.

The Universal Credit helpline is open Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm.

Find out more in our How to apply for Universal Credit Easy Read.

A man talking to a Mencap helpline adviser on the telephone

If you live in supported housing you might need to get Housing Benefit instead.

Contact the Learning Disability Helpline for more information.

  • Telephone: 0808 808 1111
A picture of an application form with entry fields for name, address, education and work.

You need to fill in forms to get benefits.

A passport, ID badge and a driving licence

You also have to show things like:

  • your passport or a driving licence that show a picture of you
  • a letter from your bank like a bank statement
  • your tenancy agreement.
A woman helping a man to fill in a form

You can ask your family, social worker or support worker to help.

A woman on the phone calling her doctor who is in a blue circle behind her

If you do not have anyone to help, you can call the Universal Credit Helpline and ask them to help you fill in the forms over the phone.

A calculator next to a pile of money

How much benefit money could you get?

You can check how much benefit money you could get on these websites:

A woman is helping a man in a wheelchair to do some work at a computer

Ask your support worker or social worker for help to use websites if you need support.

A wage packet with money

You will need to know how much money you get each month from other things like work.

In front of a picture of lots of different types of benefit leaflets is the Houses of Parliament and a hand putting money into an envelope.

You also need to know if you already get some benefits.

A woman holding up a clipboard with a green tick on it. Her other hand is raised with her thumbs up

Even if you already get benefits, it is always good to check that you are getting as much money as you can.