What is SEN Support?

SEN Support is the process schools and other settings use to identify and meet the needs of children with SEN. They should alter support where necessary.

This used to be called Early Years/School Action and Early Years/School Action Plus.

Who can get SEN Support?

Education settings must make sure they meet the “reasonable” special educational needs of children. This means that education settings – early years settings, schools and colleges – should be able to meet the needs of most children with a learning disability.

How to get SEN Support

If a child or young person has SEN, or a setting thinks that they might have SEN, they must follow this process:

  1. Assess: they must talk to a child’s parents or the young person to work out what support might be needed.
  2. Plan: once a child or young person’s needs have been identified, settings must decide what outcomes they want the child or young person to achieve and what support should be put in place to help them achieve those outcomes. There should be a clear date set to review whether these outcomes have been achieved. Parents/the young person must be involved in agreeing these outcomes.
  3. Do: The staff, supported by the SENCO where relevant, should put this support into practice.
  4. Review: The support received by the child or young person should be reviewed by the setting and families/the young person to see if it is working or have been achieved. If it is, it might continue. If it is not or the outcomes have been achieved, some of the arrangements might be changed.

Schools must set out their arrangements for supporting pupils with SEN in an online policy. You will be able to view this policy via your Local Offer.

Get in touch, we're here for you

The Learning Disability Helpline is our free help and advice line.

Our team can offer advice, information and discuss what support Mencap can offer tailored to your needs, in your area.

Call or email us
Speech and language development

"Hi there! My name is Jon and I’m a Speech and Language Therapist. I’m happy to answer questions about any aspect of speech, language and communication development that you might have."

Do you have a question about your child's speech and language development? Join other parents and ask Jon in our FamilyHub.

Go to FamilyHub

You might also like

Challenging the support your child is getting

Not happy with your child's support? Challenge it.
Read more

SEND system

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) System
Read more

Education, Health and Care Plan

Your child's support plan
Read more