Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included. Our challenge, alongside people with a learning disability and their families, is to make this world a reality.
Right now, people with a learning disability face inequalities in every area of life. We need to tackle the issues head on through tireless campaigning and the delivery of high quality support and services to the people who need us.
Mencap’s mission is to transform society’s attitudes to learning disability and improve the quality of life of people with a learning disability and their families. Our big plan is divided into five priorities. These are the areas of life we want to have the biggest impact on, the areas where there is the most need to see change for the better.
- Raising awareness and changing attitudes.
- Making a difference to the lives of people with a learning disability here and now.
- Supporting friendships and relationships.
- Improving health for people with a learning disability.
- Giving children the best start in life.
- We are Inclusive. People with a learning disability are at the heart of everything we do.
- We are Trustworthy. When we promise something, we don’t let people down.
- We are Caring. We treat everyone with respect and kindness.
- We are Challenging. When we see things that aren’t fair we will campaign until we see real change.
- We are Positive. We never stop believing in a better future and we celebrate what we are proud of now.