What is a Network Partner?
Network Partners are groups/ organisations who are affiliated with Mencap.
As they are affiliated they are all run independently under the Mencap name and they all offer a variety of information, advice and support to people with a learning disability.
Some may use the Mencap name in their title and/or use the Mencap branding.
You can check their individual charity status below.
Check charity status
Northern Ireland charities
England and Wales charities
How Mencap began
In 1946, Judy Fryd – angered and frustrated by the lack of support and provision available to her daughter Felicity, who had a learning disability – wrote to Nursery World magazine asking that other parents of children with a learning disability reach out to her.
More than 1,000 parents responded and Judy went on to suggest they should all band together to plead their cause with the various health and education authorities. Here, Mencap was born.
Today, Mencap is a nation organisation operating across England, Wales and Northern Ireland, leading and influencing change for the 1.5 million people with a learning disability in the UK.
In addition to Mencap, there are over 340 organisations working with us in communities across England, Wales and Northern Ireland, to respond to the local needs of people with a learning disability and their families.
Many of our Network Partners share our name as a local Mencap group and also may share our Mencap brand. All Network Partners share values while operating as independent charities with their own governance and strategy.
Who are our Network Partners?
A diverse network of like-minded groups and organisations - both national and local - from large-scale service providers, to small social groups who organise sport activities over the weekends.
All share the same aim - to improve the lives of people with a learning disability and to increase the opportunities available to them in their local areas.
Are you looking for advice, support, leisure groups or other learning disability services? Why not search to find out if there is a Network Partner based near you.
Join the Mencap Network
Join the Mencap Network to collaborate with like-minded groups and organisations who work on local and/or national levels to bring about change for people with a learning disability.
If your group or organisation supports people with a learning disability on a local or national level, then why not express your interest to join the Network?
The benefits of being part of the Network
As a valued Network Partner you would gain access to:
- our online community, called Your Network online, where you can connect with other like-minded groups and organisations
- resources shared by Mencap and other Network Partners
- networking events which are opportunities to connect and collaborate with other Network Partners
- workshops and seminars
- regular e-newsletters and communications
- telephone and email support from our dedicated membership team in relation to queries about your Network Partner group
- opportunities to collaborate
- exclusive offers and discounts
- the option to use Mencap branding - use is subject to a license agreement
- opportunities to promote your organisation, services and activities on Your Network online.