If you are concerned about any aspect of your child’s support, the first thing you can do is request a meeting with the people involved or write to the school or local authority about your concerns.

Cerebra’s problem solving toolkit has some helpful model letters and tips for preparing for a meeting.

Organisations that can help

There are several organisations who can help you challenge your child’s school or education provider, or the local authority:

  • Your local SEND IASS is there to advise and support disabled children and young people and their families. Find your local service at IASS Network.
  • Contact have specialist education advisors available on their helpline on 0808 808 3555.
  • IPSEA also offers advice on your child’s rights, and resources to help you challenge education providers and local authorities.
  • Cerebra’s Legal Entitlements Research Project helps families of children and young people with special educational needs who are experiencing problems with education services.

The SEND Tribunal

The SEND Tribunal is there to adjudicate between schools, local authorities and families/young people with special educational needs and disabilities. The tribunal can make decisions on the following matters:

  • if you believe that a school has discriminated against your child because of their disability
  • if the local authority refuses to carry out an EHC needs assessment
  • if the local authority refuses to issue an EHC plan
  • if the local authority refuses to make changes to a plan after a review or reassessment
  • a decision by the local authority to end the plan
  • what the plan says about your child’s special educational needs, including the school or college named in the plan.

You might want to do more to influence decisions about special educational needs issues locally and nationally. Your local parent carer forum campaigns on issues that are important to you and your child. Visit the National Network of Parent Carer Forums to find your local forum.

Timeframes for lodging an appeal and considering mediation

You have 2 months to lodge your appeal with the tribunal. For many appeals you must decide whether you want to go through optional mediation.

You can do this by phoning the mediation services your local authority has recommended for you. You must make this call within the two month timeframe that has been set. Once you've called the mediation service, your deadline for lodging your appeal may be extended.

Get in touch, we're here for you

The Learning Disability Helpline is our free help and advice line.

Our team can offer advice, information and discuss what support Mencap can offer tailored to your needs, in your area.

Call or email us

You might also like

SEND system

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) System
Read more about SEND system

SEN Support

SEN Support is what schools and similar settings use to find and meet the needs of children with special educational needs (SEN).
Read more about SEN Support

Your child's rights in education

Get the education your child deserves
Read more about Your child's rights in education