What is the purpose of this notice?
Companies, like Mencap, often have information about people.
It is the law Laws are the rules that everyone in the country has to follow. If you don't follow the rules you can get in trouble with the police. that the companies must keep this information safe and secure.
This is called a privacy notice, and it was last updated in November 2023
This privacy notice will tell you:
- why Mencap needs information about you
- what Mencap does with information about you
- your rights Rights are the things everyone should be allowed to do like have a say, or go to school. around how your information is used.
Mencap is a Charity and a Company.
Our registration number with the Information Commissioner's Office is Z5709720.
Information about you that we may keep
Mencap may keep information about you to make sure that our services are safe and professional.
The information also helps us to give you the best care and support that we can.
Mencap might keep information such as:
- your name, address, date of birth, emergency contact etc.,
- details of how you pay us for your care or funding,
- how we support you,
- your likes and dislikes,
- details about your health.
Mencap might collect your personal information because:
- We have an agreement with you or your local Council A council is also called a local authority A local authority is also called a council. They are a group of people who make decisions about some of the things in the area where you live like schools, social care Social care means the services that give care and support to people who need it. (support for people), parks and dustbin collection. . They are a group of people who make decisions about some of the things in the area where you live. These include: schools, social care (support for people), parks and dustbin collection. to support you (Contractual Obligation)
- It is the law (Legal Obligation)
- You have given us permission. You can remove this permission at any time ( Consent Consent is when you say yes to something, like an operation, or Mencap using your photo for a story. You may have to sign something to say yes. If you can't make your own decisions, someone else can say yes or no for you. They must think about what is right for you. )
- We want to make our support better for you and other people (Legitimate Interest)
Mencap must follow the law when collecting, storing or sharing information about you.
How we may use your information
Mencap may use your information to:
- choose the support you might need
- keep you safe and healthy
- help you find a job
- find out what works and what doesn't when it comes to the support you get.
How we keep your information safe
Mencap will always keep your information private and safe.
The only people that we will let see your information are:
- people with permission
- people who have the right to see it by law.
People or organisations who may have a legal reason to see your information include:
- parts of the health and care system, such as your GP, social workers or pharmacy
- your local council
- the CQC
- the police or security services.
International transfer of personal data
Our website A website is a page you can go to on the internet like Google or YouTube. is housed within the UK. Our other servers and systems are generally located on our premises or elsewhere within Europe, but some services used for example email campaigns and online surveys may be located outside of Europe.
Where data is transferred outside Europe, Mencap will ensure that transfers are only made to countries in which the European Commission has made an adequacy decision or where appropriate safeguards are in place
How long we will keep your information for
We will only keep your information for as long as it is needed.
The amount of time we keep information for will:
- be in line with the law and the rules set by other organisations, such as the CQC
- depend on why it was needed in the first place.
Mencap have a Data Retention Policy. This tells you how long your information is going to be kept for.
The information we keep about you is yours.
We will make sure it is kept private and is only used properly.
You have these rights when it comes to your information:
- Right of Access - You can ask to see a copy of the information we have about you. You can do this by completing our request form and you will need one piece of ID to complete the form.
- Right to Rectification - If you think the information we have about you is wrong, or has parts missing, you can ask us to correct it.
- Right to Erasure - If you think we have information about you that is no longer needed you can ask us to delete it (but we won't be able to delete it if the law says it is still needed).
- Right to Restrict Processing - You can ask that we stop some of the ways that we use your information, even if you don't want it to be deleted.
- Right to be informed – This privacy notice is our way of informing you how your data will be used
- Right in Relation to Automated Decision Making and Profiling – For support services Mencap does not conduct the use of any automated decision making or profiling software
- Right to Object - You can ask us not to use your information for legitimate interests. (Legitimate interests are when we have a clear reason or goal for doing something.)
- Right to Data Portability – You can ask us to transfer your information electronically to another organisation
If we cannot do what you have asked the Data Protection Officer will explain why.
How to complain
You can write to our Data Protection Officer if you have questions or you are not happy about the way we use your information.
You can do this yourself or ask someone who supports you to do this for you.
Send a letter to this address:
Data Protection Officer
Royal Mencap Society,
6 Cyrus Way,
Or email DPO@mencap.org.uk.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners’ Office if you believe our collection or use of personal information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate or if you have concerns about the security of your personal information and you think that we have not complied with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR).
You can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at the following address:
Information Commissioner’s Office,
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Further information and guidance Guidance means being given clear instructions to be able to do something well. please visit https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
What are your data protection rights?
This video explains the rights you have with your personal details that Mencap uses.
These rights are part of data protection law in the UK.
You can download and view a copy of this notice in easy read Easy Read is a way of making written information easier to understand. Pictures are usually added next to the writing. format.
A cookie is a small file that is put on your computer when you visit a website. It helps the website to remember you and your preferences.