Being able to travel means more freedom, a more active social life, and broader job opportunities.
But in many parts of the country, government or local council A council is also called a local authority A local authority is also called a council. They are a group of people who make decisions about some of the things in the area where you live like schools, social care Social care means the services that give care and support to people who need it. (support for people), parks and dustbin collection. . They are a group of people who make decisions about some of the things in the area where you live. These include: schools, social care (support for people), parks and dustbin collection. support is not enough to enable people to get around and be active in their local neighbourhood.
So many local initiatives have been created to fill the gaps - run by Mencap local groups, day centres, or parents of people with a learning disability A learning disability is to do with the way someone's brain works. It makes it harder for someone to learn, understand or do things. who simply want to create their own solution to the transport problem.
We've listed some of these initiatives below so that you can take part, or even be inspired to start your own.
Do you know a local scheme we should add to the list? Contact us with the details at email@example.com.
Ealing Mencap's Travel Training project
- Where: Ealing
- About: The project trains and employs Travel Buddies who have a learning disability. All buddies are independent travellers, fully trained in how to meet the needs of every person they support. Travelling on public transport with peers can give people with a learning disability more confident and independence Independence means doing things on your own. Making your own choices. in other areas of their lives.
- More about Ealing Mencap's Travel Buddy project.
Warmley Wheelers - accessible cycling scheme
- Where: Warmley, Bristol
- About: This scheme provides wheelchair-adapted bicycles for people with disabilities, and is part run by people with learning disabilities. The bikes are also available to hire by the public. The project promotes independence through cycling and runs a weekly cycling club in St Pauls.
- More about Warmley Wheelers.
- Where: London
- About: Travelmate employs people with a learning disability to support others to travel on public transport. The scheme offers peer-to-peer support and paid employment Employment means having a job. for people with a learning disability and/or autism Autism is a disability. Autistic people find it difficult to understand what other people think and feel. They also find it difficult to tell people what they think and feel. Everyone with autism is different. .
- More about Travelmate.
Harrow Mencap's Skill up project
- Where: Harrow
- About: Harrow Mencap's Skill up project supports young people aged 18-25 with a learning disability to get active, gain independence, have new experiences, make friends and gain life skills, including getting around.
- More about Skill up.
Enfield Mencap's travel initiatives
- Where: Enfield
- About: Enfield Mencap provides travel training for people with a learning disability, such as staying safe, knowing your rights Rights are the things everyone should be allowed to do like have a say, or go to school. and practical skills to get about. They also run an accessible Accessible means something is easy for people to use or join in with. For example: Accessible writing means the writing is easy to read and understand. cycling scheme.
- More about Enfield Mencap's travel initiatives.
HF Mencap's Out and About
- Where: Hammersmith and Fulham, London
- About: Out and About is a service provided by Hammersmith and Fulham Mencap, which provides personalised travel support for people with a learning disability. They enable people to develop their own activities across the week with trained support staff. They support people access college, social and leisure Leisure is when you have time to do things you enjoy like playing sports or going to the pub. activities, learn independent living skills, and participate in travel training.
- More about Out and About.
Mencap Liverpool's travel training
- Where: Liverpool
- About: Mencap Liverpool provides workshops around Healthy Living and Travel Training designed to support people with a learning disability to be able to travel independently.
- More about travel training.
Contact your local group to see if they run a transport scheme
Didn't find something in your area?
Here are three more things you can do to access transport in your local area