Skip to main content

How to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

A step-by-step digital guide to take you through the PIP application process.

Easy Read

How to claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

A woman is phoning someone who is sitting at a desk

To start a Personal Independence Payment application you need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

A picture of an application form with entry fields for name, address, education and work.

The DWP will send you a form that you need to fill out.

A man is reading a book with the word Instructions written on the front cover

This page tells you what to do...

Step 1: Check if you are eligible for Personal Independence Payment

To get payments you must: 

  • Be at least 16 years old  
  • Have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability 
  • Find it difficult to do every day tasks or get around.  
  • Expect your difficulties to last for at least 12 months or longer. 

Take the online Personal Independence Payments test to see if you qualify.

If you live in Scotland, you need to ask for an Adult Disability Payment instead. 

Step 2: Make sure you have the right information to hand

You will need: 

  • Your name, address and telephone number 
  • Your date of birth 
  • your National Insurance number, if you have one (you can find this on letters about tax, pensions and benefits) 
  • your bank or building society account number and sort code 
  • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number 
  • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent in a care home or hospital 
  • dates for any time you spent abroad for more than 4 weeks at a time, and the countries you visited 

Step 3: Get someone to help you if you want

  • You can ask for someone to be added to your phone call. 
  • You can ask someone else to make the call for you, but you’ll need to be with them when they call 

What to do when you are ready to contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)?

Step 4: Contact the DWP by phone or letter

It's usually quicker to get a decision over the phone.

Telephone: 0800 917 2222 

Accessible ways to call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP):

  • Textphone: 0800 917 7777 
  • Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 08009 172 222 
    Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm 

Write to: Personal Independence Payment New Claims, Post Handling Site B, Wolverhampton. WV99 1AH.

After you've contacted the DWP you’ll be sent a form

Step 5: Fill in the 'How your disability affects you' (PIP2) form

The (PIP2) form you will be sent is for you to describe the impact of your disability or health conditions, and the specialist equipment and help you need. 

Make sure to describe your difficulties in each activity on the form. For example, if you need assistance to cook food, say so and explain what help you need and why. Write what would happen if you did not have the help or assistance.

See our guidance page about the questions on the PIP2 form.

Visit guidance page

Consider keeping a Personal Independence Payment diary

Although you do not have to send extra documents to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to claim PIP (unless you are claiming special rules PIP for terminal illness), it is useful to keep a detailed ‘diary’ of how long everyday things take you and how you do them differently because of your condition or disability.

A PIP diary is not like a personal diary, so don’t feel you have to share private information, but it is helpful to assessors to see how often you struggle to do things, and how long your daily tasks take you, and what help you need to do everyday things.

We recommend filling in diary sheets for two weeks and sending these sheets in with your claim for PIP.

Don’t forget to take copies of your evidence, and your application form .

Other information may be needed when you apply for Personal Independence Payment

Step 6: Have a Personal Independence Payment assessment by a health professional

A health professional will collect all the information from you and write a report for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

If more information is needed, you will be invited to an assessment .

You will be asked questions about how you can carry out activities and how your condition affects your daily life.

You'll find out if you are to get Personal Independence Payment

Step 7: Getting your Personal Independence Payment decision

You will get a letter that tells you if you will get PIP. 

If you do, you will be told: 

  • how much you will get. 
  • when you will be paid.
  • the date your PIP will be reviewed so that you continue to get the right support. 

Step 8: Unsuccessful Personal Independence Payment applications

If your application for PIP is unsuccessful or you are unhappy with the outcome, you should contact the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) within one month of the date of decision to request a mandatory reconsideration. 

This can be done over the phone, but we recommend that you do it in writing, so you have a record of your request. If you need more time, contact the DWP and ask for an extension. 

If your mandatory reconsideration is unsuccessful, you have one month from the date of the mandatory reconsideration decision letter to appeal the decision. The appeal will be looked at by an independent tribunal. 

These pages will help you with an appeal:

White space
White space

Frequently asked questions about Personal Independence Payment applications

White space

The information on this page is for guidance only. Mencap hold no responsibility for DWP processes, timescales, decisions and service.

How helpful is this page?