Our vision is for the UK to be the best place in the world for people with a learning disability to live happy and healthy lives.
Our Big Plan has at its heart a commitment to listening to and being led by people with a learning disability A learning disability is to do with the way someone's brain works. It makes it harder for someone to learn, understand or do things. .
As a result we will make all our future decisions depending on what they tell us is important to them.
We will work with
- by listening to people with a learning disability to support them to fight for their rights Rights are the things everyone should be allowed to do like have a say, or go to school. and to realise their hopes and dreams
- by supporting them in any way we can to build their confidence to find local answers.
- by campaigning alongside people with a learning disability to make society fairer and to make sure their voices are heard.
Playing our part
How Mencap will work alongside others to make a difference
- By providing services that model our vision and ambition.
- By campaigning for change; supporting people with a learning disability to ask for what they want and need, and supporting them to campaign for change.
- By supporting people with information and advice for all areas of their lives.
- By carrying out research into important issues to create a positive impact and see real change.
- By supporting people to find solutions in their own communities.
How we will work in the future
In order to realise our vision Mencap will have to change the way it works.
These are the areas we want to focus on as we deliver the Big Plan.
We will continue to listen to people with a disability and their families, and everything we do will be led by them. We will stop doing things ‘to and for’ others and always do things ‘with’ them.
We will listen to what communities want and support them to make things happen.
We will work in strong partnerships with individuals, communities and other organisations to make the UK the best place to live a happy and healthy life.
We will try and test new things, accept that we don’t have all the answers, and respond to new evidence as we go.
Breaking down barriers
We recognise the inequalities that exist and won’t stand by when we see injustice. Our role is to support people with a learning disability to break through those barriers.
How we help each other to do great things
Our promises help to keep us on the right path and to remind us what is most important when making big decisions.
- We always work in a person-centred way – treating individuals with dignity and respect and placing them at the centre of our work.
- We always focus on impact – everything we do must result in a positive difference.
- We never accept barriers in society – we will always speak up when we see injustice.
Our values Values are the things that are important to you. Mencap's values are being passionate, inclusive, brave, positive, and kind. are at the heart of Mencap’s culture and inform how we work every day.
Looking to the future
Following our 75th anniversary, this is an exciting time in Mencap’s history.
Our Big Plan will help us to bring about lasting, positive change and make the UK the best place to live a happy and healthy life if you have a learning disability.
Take a look at Mencap's latest annual report
At Mencap we listen carefully to our communities – and are led by what we hear.
Find our more about our work in our latest annual report An annual report is a booklet which an organisation writes every year. It tells you what they did that year. .