What is Gig Buddies?
Gig Buddies is a project that matches people with a learning disability with a volunteer who shares similar interests to engage in nightlife activities together.
The aim of the project is to support people with a learning disability to develop new social circles and informal support networks to go out and do the things they enjoy.
Volunteering doesn't stop at 5pm, there is so much more to do and sometimes we just need someone to do it with.
Being a Gig Buddy volunteer means you are able to support someone whilst enjoying things you already do or allows you to try new things whilst also making a new friend.
Mencap Gig Buddies provides:
- The opportunity to go to great events based on your shared interest and meet new people.
- The opportunity to support someone with a learning disability to live a life like anyone else and make choices about how you spend social time together
- Induction training around learning disability, communication and safeguarding
- Friendly ongoing support, mentoring and guidance from a local Coordinator
Get in contact
You can email us at email@example.com.
The history of Gig Buddies
Gig Buddies was founded by the Brighton based charity Stay Up Late who now share the project model with like-minded organisations around the UK and even in Sydney, Australia.
The project began from a campaign in 2006 to fight for the rights of people with learning disability to “stay up late” and not be restricted by support worker shifts.
In 2013 they founded Gig Buddies as a practical solution to this, matching volunteers and people with learning disabilities who shared interests around music to go to gigs together. The project has since evolved, and matches people to be "buddied" for a range of activities, not just gigs and music.
Download our easy read guide to Gig Buddies
Gig Buddies continues during coronavirus
Our Gig Buddies sites in Hull, East Riding and Bradford have been coming up with creative ways to transition online during the coronavirus outbreak.
- creating a Gig Buddies Spotify playlist where all members have shared their top 5 songs and we share a song of the day
- video calls between pairs
- posting materials to participants without digital/internet access
- word search games with Gig Buddies related words
- virtual social events (e.g. quizzes via Zoom are being hosting every other week)
- music played by local artists in the Gig Buddies Coronavirus Fest (organised by Stay Up Late). Artists live stream every evening at 8pm and 9pm, which is shared and watched by members regularly.
We are encouraging Gig Buddies to keep in contact with each other and pairs are keeping in contact through calls and messages.
We are still taking on new volunteers and holding volunteer training online.
Rebecca and Savanna
Hear from Rebecca and Savanna about what they get up to together as Gig Buddies and what they're most looking forward to doing once lockdown is over!