What we ask for
- We must never return to an era of institutional settings or go back on the progress we have made towards independent living
- People with a learning disability must be able to enjoy long-term security and stability in their homes
- Enough funding, as well as the right funding mechanism, must be available to provide all supported housing in the community for all people with a learning disability, including those with the most complex needs, when they need it.
- The majority of adults with a learning disability want to live communally, either by themselves (40%) or sharing a home with friends (30%) (Mencap housing report)
- 82% of local authorities report that there is a shortage of suitable housing for adults with a learning disability in their area (Mencap housing report)
- 67% of local authorities say that it has become more difficult for adults with a learning disability to have their housing needs met (Mencap housing report)