This is a recipe for Vegetable Paella from a Community Interest Company called Turning Heads.
This recipe will make a paella for 4 people.
You will need:
- 1½ tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon smoky paprika
- 250 grams paella rice
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 750 millilitres vegetable stock
- 1 can butter beans or cannellini beans
- 200 grams green beans
- 2 lemons
You will also need:
- a large frying pan
- a wooden spatula or something to stir everything in the frying pan
- a chopping board
- a sharp knife
- a garlic press
- a can opener
- a measuring jug
- a lemon juicer
How to make your vegetable paella:
1. Chop the onion, peppers and green beans. Crush or chop the garlic.
2. Add the oil to the frying pan and turn on the hob.
3. Add the chopped onion to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Keep stirring the onion as you cook it.
4. Add the chopped peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Keep stirring everything in the frying pan.
5. Add the garlic to the frying pan. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the paprika to the frying pan. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
7. Add the rice to the frying pan. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add the vegetable stock slowly to the frying pan. Keep stirring everything in the pan as you add the stock.
9. Add the tomatoes to the frying pan. Stir them into the mixture in the frying pan.
10. Add the butter beans or cannellini beans to the frying pan. Stir them into the mixture in the frying pan.
11. Bring the mixture in the frying pan to the boil.
12. Turn the heat down and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
Simmer means the mixture bubbles very slowly.
13. While the mixture is simmering, stir it from time to time. The paella will cook better if you do not stir it all the time.
14. Add the green beans to the top of the mixture in the frying pan and leave them to cook for 10 minutes until they are soft.
15. While the beans are cooking, juice the lemons.
16. Add the lemon juice to the frying pan. Stir the juice into the mixture and cook for 1 minute.
17. Your paella is now ready to eat. You might want to add some salt and pepper, or squeeze some extra lemon juice over it.
Turning Heads have made a video to go with this recipe. Watch the Turning Heads vegetable paella video on YouTube.