This is a recipe for Tuna Fritters from a Community Interest Company called Turning Heads.
This recipe will make fritters for 4 people.
You will need:
- 125 millilitres milk
- 3 eggs
- 150 grams self-raising flour
- 1 can sweetcorn
- ½ bunch spring onions
- 1 lemon
- 2 cans tuna
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
You will also need:
- a measuring jug
- a large mixing bowl
- a wooden spoon
- a sieve
- a hand whisk
- a chopping board
- a knife
- a zester
- a large saucepan or frying pan
- a spatula
- a plate or baking tray to put your fritters on in the oven
How to make your tuna fritters:
1. Turn the oven on to a low heat so you can keep your cooked fritters warm while you cook the rest of them.
2. Pour your milk into a measuring jug.
3. Break the eggs and add them to the milk.
4. Add some salt and pepper to the jug and mix with the wooden spoon.
5. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
6. Tip the egg and milk mixture from the jug into the mixing bowl.
7. Use the whisk to mix everything in your mixing bowl.
8. Chop your spring onions and add them to the mixing bowl.
9. Zest your lemon and add the zest to the mixing bowl.
The zest of a lemon is the yellow part of the skin. When you zest a lemon, you take off the zest and leave the white part of the skin.
10. Add the tuna and the sweetcorn to the mixing bowl.
11. Use the whisk to mix everything in your mixing bowl.
12. Heat a drop of oil in a large saucepan or a frying pan.
13. When the oil is hot, put 2 spoonfuls of the batter into the oil and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until the mixture is crisp and brown.
14. Use a spatula to turn the fritter over and cook it for 2 or 3 minutes on the other side.
15. Put your cooked fritter onto a plate or tray in the oven to keep it warm while you cook the other fritters.
16. You might want to eat your cooked fritters with some lemon juice squeezed over them, or with some salsa, soured cream, or chilli sauce.
Turning Heads have made a video to go with this recipe. Watch the Turning Heads tuna fritters video on YouTube.