Coronavirus: How to wash your hands
How to wash your hands
Help stop the spread of coronavirus by washing your hands properly
This guide shows you the best way to wash your hands.
1. Turn on the taps and wet your hands.
2. Put soap on your hands.
3. Rub the palms of your hands together.
4. Put one hand over the other, wash the back of your hand and in between your fingers.
5. Turn your hands the other way. Wash the back of your other hand and in between your fingers.
6. Turn your hands palm to palm. Lock your hands together. Clean in between your fingers.
7. With your left palm facing up, use your right hand to grab the 4 fingers on the left hand and close both hands together.
8. Wash the backs of your fingers on the palms of your hands.
9. Using your right hand, make a fist around your left thumb. Wash your thumb.
10. Do the same thing the other way around. Wash your other thumb.
11. Rub the tips of your fingers on your palm.
12. Turn your hands around and do the same on the other side.
13. Using your left hand, make a fist around your right wrist.
14. Then wash your other wrist.
15. Wash the soap off your hands with water.
16. Dry your hands with a paper towel.
17. Turn off the tap with the paper towel.
18. Throw the paper towel away.
Watch the video
This video shows you the steps we have described to wash your hands properly.
Washing your hands should take about 20 seconds.
That is about the same time it takes to sing 'Happy Birthday' all the way through 2 times.
What if my hands get sore?
Putting cream on your hands is helpful for some people.
If your hands get very sore or painful, get advice from the chemist or call NHS 111