Skip to main content
Man stood next to horse by racetrack.

Short breaks and respite services

Find out about our short breaks and respite services.

About short breaks and respite

Short breaks are designed for people with a learning disability and their families, to give them a change from their daily routine and to give parents and carers a break from the demands of their role.

Short breaks are incredibly important - caring, even for someone you love, can be an exhausting experience, which can leave you little time for yourself or other members of your family.

A good short break should be regular, reliable and frequent. It should also be flexible enough to fit in with your family's needs, and accessible in case of an emergency.

Where are short breaks services available?

We can provide support in the family home or in the community . In some areas we also have building-based short breaks facilities. We can also enable individuals to take a short break away from home.

Can I access short breaks and respite services?

To find out if you are entitled to a short break, you should contact your local authority for an assessment , or ask during your carer's assessment or the care assessment of the person you support.

You can also access short breaks and respite services using a personal budget , or by paying with private funds.

Breaking point

If you have not received a short break, and feel like you can no longer cope, it is important to get help as quickly as possible - you can start by speaking to your GP, and any other professionals that have been working with you and your child.

Get in touch, we're here for you

The Learning Disability Helpline is our free help and advice line.

Our team can offer advice, information and discuss what support Mencap can offer tailored to your needs, in your area.

Call or email us

Find out more

Contact the Learning Disability Helpline to find out how we can support you: 

Phone: 0808 808 1111 from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.


You might also like

How helpful is this page?