Helping young people reach their goals.
Learning Disability Week is a week of national campaigning and awareness raising run by Mencap.
Learning Disability Week 2013 will take place from 19 to 25 August. Mencap and Mencap Local groups will be working hard during the week to bring people together to celebrate our family life and to develop new, strong family networks in our local communities.
The next few months will be spent finalising ideas, and we will soon be promoting all the activities on offer, including a series of family networking events.
If you are part of a local group or organisation that works for people with a learning disability and their families or carers, please get involved! Here are some ideas to help get you started planning your activities:
- Run a ‘Welcome to the world of learning disability’ evening for new or expectant mums and dads.
- Hold a story-sharing event where family members can tell the world what makes their family special.
- Organise a family fun day for the children.
- Arrange a complementary therapy session for carers.
- Group together and host a free lunch for carers, and provide advice on planning for the future.
- Hold a ‘Teenage rampage’ session on how to find your way through the world of 14- 25 transition.
Find out more
Supporting each other and raising awareness of how unique and fantastic our families are is exactly what Learning Disability Week is all about. If you want to get involved, we can put you in touch with people in your area.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.