As a trustee, your role is:
- to manage the assets of the trust, by investing the money or maintaining a property
- to make payments to beneficiaries
- to prepare accounts for the money and property you look after
- to pay any tax that is due.
The trust funds the cost of living in my care home, visits to my family and my annual season ticket for my favourite football club.
Trustees sometimes do much more than this and may be closely involved in the day-to-day welfare of a beneficiary. Trustees also have the power to ask others to carry out tasks for them.
- Order Mencap's 'Guide to being a trustee' for more information