You may hear the following words and terms when discussing personalisation and personalised services:
- Brokerage: support to help you decide how and where to spend your money.
- Direct payment: once the local authority has allocated you a set amount of money, you can choose to receive it yourself as a direct payment.
- Flexible support: any support provided by Mencap will be flexible within local parameters.
- Individual budget: this is the money an individual is allocated, to allow them to buy their own support. This is sometimes called a ‘personal budget'.
- Person centered approaches: involves the process of listening to people to find out what is important to them. This is also called ‘person centred planning'.
- Personal Adviser (PA): with personalisation, people will make arrangements with private individuals called PAs to provide the support they need.
- Self-directed support: this is the system which allows people to choose their own package of support using their individual budget. We also talk about ‘individual' or ‘tailored' support.