As part of the Employ Me programme we will work with you to develop and identify the key skills and qualities that would help you gain employment.
Employers would like you to be
Your CV is a summary of your personal, educational and work experience.
A well written CV that has been tailored to the job you are applying for, will help you to get through to the interview stage.
Top tips for CV writing
- Keep it brief and to the point – no more than two A4 pages
- A CV should be typed and printed – never handwritten
- Use a bold font or underline for the headings
- Don’t use lots of different font types and sizes – Arial is a good choice
- Spell-check using your computer
- Use 'bullet points' for lists
Things to include in your CV
- Personal information – full name, address, telephone number and email address
- Work experience and skills - start with your most recent or current job and work backwards. For each job include your: job title, when you started and finished the job, the company name and list what your job involved (what tasks you did)
- Education and training – again, start with the most recent and work your way back. Include: the place you studied, the year you took the course, the subject and what grades you got
- Hobbies and interests – give a brief explanation and include any volunteer work you have done. Include things that relate to the job role where possible
- References - give the names of two people who can give you a reference. This can be a previous employer, teacher or somebody who has known you for a long-time. If you do not want to put this information on your CV, you can put ‘References available upon request’
Who to contact
To find out more about our employment services, please contact Mencap Direct on 0808 808 1111.