We want as many people as possible to get involved so the police know that tackling disability hate crime is important to lots of people. Please help us spread the word!
You can take action by:
- Seeing if your local police force has signed up to the ‘Stand by me’ police promise and, if they haven’t, asking them to.
- Keeping up to date with the work Mencap is doing on hate crime and our other campaigns.
If you live in England (except London) or Wales, you can also download our campaigns pack or our easy-read campaigns pack and see how you can lobby your police and crime commissioner candidates. You can find out who the police and crime commissioner candidates are in your area.
If you live in London, you can download our London campaigns pack and see how you can work with the police force in your area.
If you live in Northern Ireland, you can find out about what events are happening there.
If you want to help spread the word about Learning Disability Week and the events that are going on, you can download our social media guide with information about how to spread the word about police and crime commissioners and events in your area.
- Download a social media guide for England (except London) or Wales.
- Download a social media guide for London or Northern Ireland.
- Download images you can use on your facebook profile.
Mencap has also developed some template press releases for you to customise to raise awareness of the Learning Disability Week event in your area. This is a great opportunity to get your local media interested in the issue of disability hate crime and what steps need to be taken to tackle it. The media guide explains more about how to get the media interested in your event.