- Can I really do this?
- How fit do I need to be?
- Will I be supported on the event?
- Will I get help before the event?
- Who will be going on the trip?
- What's provided?
- What will happen to my belongings when I am sledding?
- What do I need to organise myself?
- How much will it cost?
- How to take part
If you're keen and enthusiastic, the answer is ‘yes'.
Anyone aged between 18 and 65* can take part. All you need is the energy to fundraise and the enthusiasm to get fit. *People over 65 can take part, as long as they have a medical certificate from their GP.
Sledding for 6-8 hours per day over icy terrain in a freezing climate is a challenge, but there is plenty of time to get fit.
We advise that you embark on a fitness programme as soon as you can. We will send you a training guide once you register. If you are worried about your physical condition, please consult your GP.
Yes! As well as Mencap staff, Across the Divide - a company specialising in adventure travel - is organising the challenge for Mencap. They will provide a doctor, experienced guide and support staff to take care of you.
When you register, Mencap will send you a comprehensive fundraising, publicity and preparation pack. By following these guidelines and exchanging ideas with fellow participants at our pre-event meeting, you will be on a successful route to fundraising.
The Mencap team will be on hand should you need extra support with fundraising.
There will be people of all ages, backgrounds and from all parts of the country - all starting off from different levels of fitness.
You'll have a chance to meet your fellow particpants at our get together several months before the trip. The very nature of this challenge means a great team spirit develops and many people make friends for life.
Flights from Belfast and all internal travel are provided, as well as accommodation, meals, water and refreshments, medics and guides.
Your main kit bag will be transported in the front of your sled. Please refer to the kit list we'll send you when you register.
To guarantee your place, you will need to raise at least 70% (£3150) of your minimum sponsorship pledge (£4500) and send it to Mencap Promotions Ltd 10 weeks before your departure date. The remaining 30% (£1350) is due by the end of March 2008.
Travel insurance and airport tax is payable on top of the minimum fundraised amounts.
Your initial registration fee of £299 will meet some of the costs of travel, meals, equipment and general organisation.
However, some costs will come out of the money you fundraise. This means that each person who sponsors you must realise that a proportion of their sponsorship will be used to cover these costs.
If you feel unhappy about this you can talk to us about paying for the costs of the trip yourself (approximately £2000).
A non-refundable registration fee of £299 is required to join the event. This will be taken as a statement of your intention to raise the minimum sponsorship of £4,500. Of the registration fee, £100 is a deposit towards the cost of your flight, which is approximately £450.
Flights are booked through Across the Divide Ltd, ATOL 6475. Payment of the registration fee does not give you the right to travel. Once you have raised at least 70% of your minimum sponsorship requirement and Mencap Promotions Ltd has approved your participation on the event, your place will be confirmed.
Air Travel arrangements are supplied and ATOL protected through Across the Divide, ATOL number 6475 and their booking conditions apply.
Mencap's Arctic Challenge is being organised by Across The Divide Ltd and promoted by Mencap Promotions Ltd. Mencap Promotions Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary company of and covenants its profits to Royal Mencap Society. Registered charity no: 222377
If you would like more information about this event, please contact:
Telephone: 028 9069 0151