Why is this race so special?
Can I really do this?
How much does it cost?
How much do I have to raise?
How do I claim the 40% refund?
What are the benefits of joining the team?
Why do it for Mencap?
What is the itinerary?
This is a certified 26.2 mile marathon distance (Association of International Marathons and Distance Races) and the only certified marathon that is run entirely 'on' water, the frozen water of the Arctic Ocean.
It is recognised by Guinness World Records as the northernmost marathon on earth. Participants are eligible to join the exclusive North Pole Marathon Grand Slam Club by finishing a marathon on each of the seven continents and this race on the Arctic Ocean.
You can find out more about the race, including its carbon neutral policy on the North Pole Marathon website.
Yes you can! This is a marathon distance race (42km, 2632 miles) with the added difficulty of running in snow shoes in sub-zero temperatures, in one of the most inhospitable and mesmerising places on earth. With the right training and motivation you can do it and come back to tell the story. You will be one of the very few people who can say they have run a marathon.... in the north pole!
Well, getting you to one of the most remote paces on earth does not come cheap. The cost for 2013 is €11,900 (£9,813*). This includes race entry, support, transport and accomodation. You will need to pay this directly to the organisers.
The schedule for 2013 is as follows:
- €4,000 (£3,298*) to secure a place
- €4,000 (£3,298*) by 1 September 2012
- €3,900 (£3,216*) by 31 December 2012
* As per April 2012 exchange rates
There is no minimum sponsorship target. You can raise as much as you want. We will provide you with a fundraising support pack and will always be at the end of the phone or email to support you and discuss fundraising ideas.
We can offer a 40% refund to cover your costs. For example, if you raise £10,000, we can refund you £4,000 towards your costs. Remember, there is no minimum sponsorship - you can raise as much as you like but the more you raise, the more we can contribute to your costs. If you plan to claim this refund we ask you to make it clear to your sponsors that they may be contributing towards your costs.
You can also opt not to claim this refund. If you do so, more of your sponsorship money will go towards our work with people with a learning disability.
You will need to request this in writing and we will process the refund on request, within eight weeks after the race.
All North Pole Marathon Mencap team members will receive:
- fundraising support
- training support
- snow shoes and Mencap's extreme team branded outer shell before the race
- other free or discounted health and fitness services and products
- the benefit of being part of a team and invites to Mencap's extreme team get togethers
Mencap is the UK's leading charity for people with a learning disability. Every day, Mencap helps thousands of people with a learning disability, their families and carers. We provide support services and campaign so that people with a learning disability have equal opportunities to live life the way they want. Challenge yourself for Mencap and join us in supporting people with a learning disability.
Just look at what the money you raise could do:
- £250 could pay for 16 children who cannot speak to attend a special workshop where they can learn the Makaton sign language
- £570 could pay for the 16-week course we run for volunteers to train them to provide advice and support to families who have children with a learning disability
- £1,000 could provide a specialist one-to-one carer for two months, helping someone with a learning disability get the support they really need.
The schedule for 2013 is as follows:
- 3 April: Arrive at Spitsbergen (Norway)
- 4 April: Fly to North Pole Camp and 90N
- 5 April: 2013 North Pole Marathon
- 6 April: Return to Spitsbergen (Norway)
- 7 April: Return to Homeland
Telephone: 020 7696 6946