What is the Access to Work grant?

The Access to Work grant is money to help you do your job if you have a disability or a health condition.

It can pay for practical support to help you start work, stay in work, or to move into self-employment if you are starting a business.

There is no set amount for an Access to Work grant. The amount of money you get depends on your situation.

The money can pay for things like:

  • special equipment
  • taxi journeys to work if you can’t use public transport
  • a support worker or job coach to help you at work
  • disability awareness training for your colleagues
  • a communicator at job interviews.

The money you get from Access to Work doesn’t have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.

Since 1 of April 2019, Access to Work will give a maximum of £59,200 support a year. This maximum amount is changed every April, and you can check it here.


Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

We've compiled some useful answers to come of your frequently asked questions around the Access to Work grant.

Click on the questions below to reveal the answers.

Who can get the Access to Work grant?

Access to Work grants are given to people who have one of the following:

  • a disability
  • a physical health condition
  • a mental health condition.

To be considered for the grant:

  • your disability or health condition must affect your ability to work
  • you must be aged 16 or over
  • you must live in Great Britain.

You might not be able to apply for Access to Work support if you get any of these benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Income Support
  • National Insurance Credits.

If you do get these benefits, you might still be able to get Access to Work support if you earn less than £105 a week and you work for:

  • a programme to get you off benefits, or
  • a local council or voluntary organisation who arranges work for disabled people.

This is called ‘supported permitted work’.

How can I apply for the Access to Work grant?

The quickest way to apply is online at GOV.uk

You can also apply in the following ways:


When you contact Access to Work you may need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the address of where you work, including your postcode
  • the name, email address and work phone number of someone you work with (for example, your manager)
  • your unique tax reference number (only if you’re self-employed)
  • the name of your New Enterprise Allowance mentor (only if you have one).

How long will my Access to Work support last?

Access to Work support can last for up to three years. Access to Work will normally do a review every year to see if you need more support. As long as you need the support, you should continue to get it.

How can I challenge a decision?

You can ask for a decision to be reconsidered by a different Access to Work Adviser. To arrange this, use the contact details at the top of your award letter, or you can send an email to: northeast.atw@dwp.gsi.gov.uk.

Where can I find more information?


Useful resources

We've created some useful factsheets and precedent letters (which are designed to address complex legal situations) to help you know your rights and when to get advice about a problem.

You can access these on our Information and advice resources page.

If you need advice on completing a letter, please contact the Learning Disability Helpline.

How to get the support you need

Contact the Learning Disability Helpline, our advice and support line, for guidance and information about what support we can offer you.

Or why not take a look at our online community? This is a place for parents and family carers of people with a learning disability to share experiences, advice and support.

You might also like

Employment - what we think

People with a learning disability have a right to work 
Read more about Employment - what we think

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - FAQs

Read the answers to your frequently asked questions about Employment and Support Allowance
Read more about Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - FAQs

Employers we work with

Find out about some of the employers that have supported work experience placements for people with learning disabilities.
Read more about Employers we work with