5% of people believe that someone with a severe learning disability should not receive treatment for cancer, beyond pain relief.
5% might not seem a lot, but that’s more than 3.2million people across the UK who hold this shocking belief.
A partnership with Mencap and Enable Scotland has the power to change this.
The All In Programme
Your funding will bring young people with and without leaning disability together. It will break down barriers, and end discrimination and exclusion through the power of sport. All In will reach communities across the UK, changing attitudes and building an all-inclusive society for us all to live in.
Vote for Mencap & Enable Scotland on the 16th of May!
Together we will reach the next generation of young people, bringing friendship and inclusion to so many who would otherwise miss out.
Are you All In?
Mencap doesn’t do ‘ordinary’, we’re bold, inspiring and challenging.
Throughout our year-long partnership, we guarantee you’ll meet some of the most incredible people you’ve ever met and of course have so much fun along the way.
What better way to spend your afternoon than dressing up and throwing (soft) dodgeballs at your colleagues’ faces? All for charity! Mencap hosts the UK’s largest dodgeball festival. It’s a great team-building event and a unique way to raise funds for our partnership.
Here is some of the fun we can have together:
Mencap Big Tea Party
Invite some friends or colleagues, pop the kettle on and indulge in some wonderful cakes!
By organising a tea party and raising vital funds for Mencap, you'll also be kick-starting a conversation about learning disability, isolation and how we can all help
Events near you!
- London To Brighton bike ride – May 2019
- Ride London 100 – July 2019
- London Landmarks Half Marathon – March 2020
- Capital Challenge – Summer 2019
Mencap’s Capital Challenge is a brand new walking challenge coming to London. Take part in one of four stages or join forces with another store or lounge to complete a relay loop of London. Get involved for a great test of physical and mental endurance!
- Edinburgh Marathon Festival – May 2019
- Kilt Walk – June 2019
- Tough Mudder Edinburgh – August 2018
- Run Heaton Park, 5k, 10k, Manchester – May 2019
- Get Muddy for Mencap Chester – June 2019
- Get Muddy for Mencap is one for those who don’t mind getting dirty or literally overcoming obstacles to raise money for a good cause!
- Pedal To The Pier, Manchester to Blackpool – September 2019
- The Colour Obstacle Rush: the only run with 20 obstacles, 8 colour stations, 20 music zones, foam and more – June 2019
- Yorkshire Three Peaks – August 2018
- Great North Run – September 2019
- The Norfolk Superhero Quadrathlon – June 2019
- Colour 5K Norwich – July 2019
- Get Muddy for Mencap Norfolk – September 2019
A learning disability is a reduced intellectual ability and difficulty with everyday activities. It is a life-long condition with no cure.
Causes can include things happening to the brain when in the womb, lack of oxygen for the baby during childbirth, early childhood illnesses, accidents or head traumas in early life.
People with a learning disability tend to take longer to learn and may need support to develop new skills, understand information and interact with other people.