Many people with a learning disability access money and benefits in order to be independent and to live the life they choose. But the benefits system is a very complex area and it is constantly changing.
We have produced a series of easy read guides, which explain the main issues that you might face.
Do you have a learning disability?
Read and download the guides below to help you make decisions on the issues that matter to you.
Are you a family member of carer to someone with a learning disability?
You can use the guides by downloading them, printing them off and going through them together with the person you support.
Get in touch, we're here for you
The Learning Disability Helpline is our free help and advice line.
Our team can offer advice, information and discuss what support Mencap can offer tailored to your needs, in your area.Call or email us
Overcoming problems with benefits
- What you should pay for services - easy read
- What councils can and cannot do - easy read
- What to do if you lose your support
- How to find out if someone is okay to work with you
- Spending money on different things
- How the local council decides who can get help and support
- What happens after I have answered questions in the self-assessment form?
- How to sort out the money you get to pay for your help and support
Did you find what you were looking for?
Do you have an issue that isn’t covered by the easy read guides below? If so, let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact Mencap Direct using this online form to find more support and information, or phone 0808 808 1111.