Many people with a learning disability access money and benefits in order to be independent and to live the life they choose.
But the benefits system is a very complex area and it is constantly changing.
We have produced a series of easy read guides, which explain the main issues that you might face.
If you have a learning disability, please read and download the guides below to help you make decisions on the issues that matter to you.
If you are a family member or carer of a person with a learning disability, you can use the guides by downloading them, printing them off and going through them together with the person you support.
Take a look at the following resources about accessing benefits:
Overcoming problems with benefits
Take a look at the following resources about overcoming problems with benefits:
- What you should pay for services - easy read
- What councils can and cannot do - easy read
- What to do if you lose your support
- How to find out if someone is okay to work with you
- Spending money on different things
- How the local council decides who can get help and support
- What happens after I have answered questions in the self-assessment form?
- How to sort out the money you get to pay for your help and support
Other ways to get the support you need
Contact the Learning Disability Helpline for advice and information about what support we can offer you.
Or why not take a look at FamilyHub? This is our online community for parents and family carers of people with a learning disability, and is a place for sharing experiences, advice and support.