The social fund is administered by Jobcentre Plus. It can provide lump sums of money, grants or loans to people under certain circumstances.
- Community care grant - this is available to people in certain circumstances, for example, if they are leaving a care home, or their family is under exceptional pressure.
- Budgeting loan: this loan allows people to buy items they cannot pay for in a lump sum, for example, things for the home. It is for people who receive income support, jobseekers allowance or pension credit.
- Crisis loan: this provides immediate day-to-day help, or help to pay for something in an emergency.
- Sure Start maternity grant: this is available if you or your partner receive a low income benefit or tax credit, and is designed to help you buy things for a new baby.
- Funeral payment: this is for someone on a low-income benefit or tax credit who needs help to pay for a funeral.
- Cold weather payment: this payment may be made during periods of cold weather to people who receive income support, jobseekers allowance or pension credit and meet certain other criteria, for example, if they have a child with a disability under the age of five.
- Winter fuel payments: these payments are for people aged over 60 to help them during the winter months.
For more information, visit the Jobcentre Plus website