Money, benefits and assessments

Every family should be able to access the money and support they are entitled to. Find out more here.

Carer's assessments

Carers have a legal right to an assessment of their needs. If you provide regular, unpaid care for your son or daughter, you may be entitled to a carer's assessment.

Community care assessments

Community care is help that is provided to people in need to help them live as independently as possible.

Money and benefits

If you have a child with a learning disability you may be entitled to claim certain benefits for yourself, or on their behalf.

In Control and Me

Mencap has been working in partnership with In Control to produce advice and information about self-directed support.

Direct payments: choosing your services

Direct payments allow people to receive money directly from their local authority, so they can pay for their own services and live more independently.

Personal Independence Payments: Frequently Asked Questions

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP). Read our PIP Frequently Asked Questions guide to find the answers to some common queries.