- Events calendar
- Running events
- Why run for Mencap?
- Running FAQs
- Running event reports
- Other runs for Mencap
- Register your interest
- Cycling events
- Extreme events
- Why join Mencap's extreme team?
- Other extreme races for Mencap
- Extreme events FAQs
- Extreme event itineraries
- Extreme event reports
- Gobi March 2012
- Marathon des Sables report 2012
- Marathon des Sables report 2011
- Atlantic Coast Challenge 2010
- Gobi March 2010
- Marathon des Sables report 2010
- Jurassic Coast Challenge report 2010
- Atacama Crossing 2010
- Himalayan race report 2009
- Jungle Marathon 2009
- Atlantic Coast Challenge
- North Pole marathon 2009
- Marathon des Sables report 2009
- Challenge events
- Social events
- Organise an event
- Raising sponsorship money
- Fundraising for Mencap
- A message to Mencap's 2014 London Marathon runners
- Dave's first marathon
- Duck and diving for Dodgeball
- Giving back to Mencap
- Gordon's marathon tips
- My biggest running challenge is to support Mencap
- Rocking the decks for Mencap dodgeball
- Running the marathon in tribute to our aunties
- Sara's marathon story
- The Neill family marathon runners
- Women on a mission
The Marathon des Sables, dubbed ‘the toughest footrace on earth', covers approximately 150 miles over six days. That's the equivalent of five and a half marathons in extreme conditions (think dunes, 120°F temperatures, sand storms) whilst carrying everything you need for the entire race on your back!
The desert race takes place in March/April (final dates to be confirmed) in the Moroccan Sahara, where midday temperatures can rise to 120°F. The terrain is uneven, rocky, stony ground, and 15-20% of the distance is over sand dunes.
Please note: the dates mentioned (4 April - 15 April 2015) are just an indication - the exact dates for the 2015 event will be confirmed soon.
Mencap's Marathon des Sables team
Mencap has secured some of the limited places available for the Marathon des Sables 2015. As part of Mencap's extreme team you'll receive:
- fundraising support
- training support
- the benefit of being part of a team and invites for Mencap's extreme team get togethers
- team top/vest before the race
- other free or discounted health and fitness services and products
- 40% refund policy - if you have secured your own place, we can help you cover your costs (read our FAQs for more details).
How to take part
If you would like to apply for a place on Mencap's 2015 Marathon des Sables team, please fill out the online application form and we'll be in touch with more information.
If you have secured your own place on the Marathon des Sables, or any other extreme race, we would be delighted to welcome you to our team.
Find out more
If you would like more information about this event, please contact:
Mencap's events team
Telephone: 020 7696 6946