Helping young people reach their goals.
Join the buzz and bee part of something special today!
What is Spellathon?
Spellathon is a sponsored spelling competition presented by 'The Professor', an amazing animated bee character voiced by Stephen Fry. Spellathon is set in a futuristic digital universe where the Spelling Bees guide you through spelling games.
Who is it for?
Aimed at primary and secondary schools, pupils are given the opportunity to practice spelling by playing fun, interactive spelling games, and be sponsored by family, friends and carers, who can make an online donation to Mencap. Schools pledge to collectively spell as many words correctly as they can.
Teachers receive many free resources and can monitor pupil’s progress. Spellathon is inclusive – teachers can change the level of ability at any time to suit each pupil.
I’m a parent – how do I get my school to take part?
If you’re a parent, why not ask your school to register for this fantastic initiative? Watch our presentation to help you explain teaching staff the benefits of Spellathon to both school, Mencap and your child.
Why take part?
- Spellathon is aligned with the curriculum and is entirely free.
- It's easy to fundraise. Schools set up a Justgiving online page to raise funds through Spellathon. Parents and family sponsor the children’s efforts and there are other ways to fundraise as well.
- Teachers receive a free support pack with lots of teaching and support materials
- Schools can receive 25% back of what their students raise.
- Win prizes: In the 2012-13 campaign the top fundraising school in 2013 won a £10,000 cash prize. And there were even more prizes to be won!
- Improve spelling in your school and meet Ofsted standards.
- Donations will help Mencap continue to support people with a learning disability, and their families and carers. For example, £25 will cover the cost of one hour’s telephone support provided to teaching assistants (TAs) who need advice on how best to communicate with children with learning disabilities.
Spellathon is kindly sponsored by Fruit Burst